2 February 2014

One Of The Greats....





  I don't normally post anything relating to actors' deaths. Yes, it is always a sad occurrence when an actor dies before their time, as it is to anyone dying but I normally feel people jump on the bandwagon when an actor/celebrity dies - 'Oh, I saw him/her in concert/live in theatre, this makes me an expert on them and my comment must be heard above everyone else's' This time, I feel differently about commenting. A great actor today was taken from the world today in the form of Philip Seymour Hoffman. One of my favourites, he always seems to capture the audience's attention in every role that he took, whether that was in Doubt or Along Came Polly. I first noticed Hoffman in Scent Of A Woman, where he stood out even amongst Al Pacino who won an Oscar for his role. He was so charming in every role that you sympathised with him even when he was playing a villain or questionable characters such as Father Flynn in Doubt. I remember watching Mission Impossible 3 and his character being the only one I sided with (which is saying something of the other characters really, considering that Hoffman was the main villain). Even in Happiness, a film that was uneasy to watch due to its themes, he managed to shine through the ensemble of actors featured. And there are still many great films of his out there that I have not yet seen such as The Master, Synedoche New York and Capote in which he won an Oscar for Best Actor.

Shortly before reading the news today of his passing, I had read that he was going to direct a film by the name Ezekiel Moss with Jake Gyllenhaal and Amy Adams confirmed to star. I was excited about the prospect of this film even before I heard the premise, just on the basis of the actors and Hoffman directing. It saddens me that I will no longer be able to enjoy future productions of his.

Rest In Peace, Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's an absolute loss to the acting world with your departure, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment