14 February 2013

Most Anticipated Films of 2013

Picture by jwelcher Photo
Let's start with Iron Man 3. This is a film that I have mixed feelings about. Half of me is really excited to see what is in store for Tony Stark and his Iron Man adventures, especially after seeing The Avengers. Going by that alone would totally leave me convinced that the next installment will be a hit. But then I remember Iron Man 2...Not a bad film by itself but when compared with the first Iron Man, it shows that Iron Man 2 had a long way to go to even begin to compare (ignore the fact that I saw the film 3 times in the cinema and now I naturally find the best character to be Sam Rockwell's Justin Hammer). It seemed to me on reflection, that the sequel tried too hard-at making it funny, the first one doing so naturally; at trying to pack in as many characters as possible; at the rushed storyline of Tony's drink problem. I also think over-seeing the trailer didn't help, so I'm learning my lesson by staying away from future online spoilers/trailers (not an easy task). Here's hoping that the combination of Shane Black's writing (who directed one of my favourites Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) and the presence of Robert Downey Jr make it a more enjoyable film.

Next up is Carrie. Yes again, I'm a bit skeptical about this one. After all, it is
Original picture by screenweek Photo
 a remake, something most people are right in criticising. If a film is successful, then why the need to present it in the same format a few years later? However, Carrie has a strong cast (Chloe Grace Moretz as the title character, Julianne Moore as Carrie's mother) and hopefully it will bring a modern spin to a Stephen King classic. I have my fingers crossed for this one.

The Way, Way Back IMDB  Click to see more details.
Of course, you should have expected Sam Rockwell film on the list. But don't worry, I'm not just picking it purely for the fact that Rockwell stars in it. This is an indie comedy co-starring Steve Carell, Toni Collette and Allison Janney so hopefully it will be in the same vein as Little Miss Sunshine, a previous indie starring Carell. The Way, Way Back has premiered at Sundance Film Festival with strong reviews so hopefully they know what they're talking about. I'm hoping for a quirky comedy with plenty of laughs.


Original picture by Pop Cutler Geek Photo
Kick-Ass 2 is another film I'm excited to seeing this year. With the majority of the cast from the first film returning, with the additions of Jim Carrey and Donald Faison to the cast, this looks to be a promising sequel. I have to admit, my only problem with the first Kick-Ass, was Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy. Yes, I know that he was meant to have based his character on Adam West and how he used to speak for the original Batman series, but that didn't stop it being distracting and off-putting to the rest of the film. My worry about the sequel is that it's not by the same director or writer (Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman) but I'm sure it's in capable hands of the current director.

D77KJG4U2JSS

No comments:

Post a Comment