20 February 2020

Fashion Influences in Film



For my next entry, I was thinking of delving into the film and TV that influenced my fashion throughout the ages. As far as I can remember, I've always let film and TV inspire what I wear on an every day basis. The first movie I can remember that had an impact on my fashion choices was: Grease (1978). The way Sandy had her makeover at the conclusion stayed with me for a long time, I've dressed as her twice now at fancy dress parties (unfortunately, I could find no photos that show this). From there, I will detail the media that made me sit up and take notice.



Classic Films from the 40s-50s

I went through a phase a few years ago, where I would try my best to recreate looks from the 1940s and the 1950s. And what better place to gain inspiration from than the films of Classic Hollywood? The most notorious star of that era was Marilyn Monroe. As pictured, you can see her in her most famous role of all time: The Seven Year Itch (1955). Even if you had never seen the film, you most likely would know the scene that is pictured and of course, that dress. The scene has been parodied and featured throughout pop culture ever since; Marilyn Monroe is now renowned for that moment in film, so much so that any time a person would think of Monroe, the image of the white halterneck dress, along with the 50s curls and red lipstick, would be conjured in people's minds. I first came upon Classic Hollywood when I was younger and my sister would watch movies of that time period feverishly. Stars such as Katherine Hepburn, James Stewart, Rita Hayworth, Greta Garbo and of course Monroe, would always pop up regularly, moving across the scene in an effortless glide. The storylines would fascinate me, that of a Film Noir with the classic characters of a Private Investigator and the Femme Fatale or the films of Alfred Hitchcock, all displaying beautiful costumes worn by each character, portrayed by the gliztiest movie star of that time. To see how these films and movie stars influenced my own style, click here and here.

Bedazzled (2000)

So I mainly watch this next choice for the outfits. And the camp scenes, and the humour...Oh, who am I kidding? Bedazzled is such a fun little movie and I would argue with you all night long if you disagree with me.
Bedazzled is a take on the original with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook but with much better costumes. Brendan Fraser plays down-on-luck Elliot, a very much socially awkward guy, who meets Elizabeth Hurley's character who as it turns out, is actually the Devil. The Devil grants Elliot seven wishes, in exchange for his soul, with each wish proving to be as disastrous as the last. If there is a standout star in this film, it's definitely the costumes of Hurley's character, with a total of 19 outfits on screen. As someone who has been influenced by film for their style choices, that is like a dream to me, to see a whole array of exquisite costumes that you wouldn't expect in an indie comedy. No two scene has the Devil in the same outfit, bringing something new and fresh every time she's on the screen. The film is such a guilty pleasure for me. To see how Bedazzled influenced my fashion, click here.


Alias (2001-2006)

Ah, Alias, what a show. I watched this show right from the beginning and stayed on the crazy journey right until the end. Alias starred Jennifer Garner as Sydney Bristow, a secret agent who doesn't realise she's working for the enemy. She believed that she worked for a branch of the CIA, when in reality she was working for the very people the CIA was against. Once she finds out the truth, Sydney becomes a double-agent, spying on the enemy for the real CIA, working alongside her father who is also a doube-agent. You think that's confusing? That was just a basic description of the first episode. Alias was such an adrenaline-packed show, crammed with cliff-hangers that left the audience constantly guessing. Even though the quality died down slightly beginning of season 4 and not really picking up until the second half of the final season, season 5, it was still an enjoyable watch. The disguises that Sydney got to wear for each episode were such a highlight, I loved seeing Sydney disappear into the facade of who she was meant to be while trying to get the answers she needed. Whether this was the famous bright red hair in episode 1, a punk in season 2, or the Rock Star's girlfriend in season 3, Sydney had a look for everything. And those wigs were captivating. The whole disguise angle complete with a wig, is what influenced me the most with this show, with the thought of creating a brand new character. For an idea how Alias gave me my wig obsession, click here, here and here.

I think it is quite clear, that I'm easily influenced by fashion in film and TV and these 3 choices were picked to highlight that I think it is so much fun to create fashion and style, all mixed from the media. I would love to hear of any personal fashion stories you may have had after being influenced by what you have seen on the screen.

Main Image

No comments:

Post a Comment