6 July 2020

Sizzling Smooches On Screen

 


Happy International Kissing Day! Today, July 6th, is the day that has been officially dubbed as the day to celebrate making out (yes, there is a day for that, apparently). On that note, I decided to compile a list of all the best kisses featured in both TV and film. Continue on to see which passionate embraces I've chosen to talk about (beware spoilers throughout)...




Buffy and Angel (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 1997-2003)



My original favourite TV couple. The first time Buffy and Angel shared a scene in Welcome to the Hellmouth (episode 1), I was hooked. It was before shipping was even on my radar, but this coupling had me gripped, especially during the scene above (season 2 episode 13, Surprise). Eventually as I grew up, I realised the relationship wasn't the healthiest, but the chemistry between the two actors (Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz, respectively) was always compelling to watch.


Benjamin and Noah (Benjamin, 2018)



A charming film I came across recently, written and directed by Simon Amstell. Colin Morgan brilliantly captures an Irish characterisation of Simon Amstell, at least that of his persona known to public. The film follows Benjamin, a very awkward film-maker, who falls in love with a singer in a band and their journey is shown throughout. Once again, the actors' chemistry with each other (aforementioned Colin Morgan, and Phénix Brossard who plays Noah) is so great that it lingers in the viewer's mind, long after the credits roll.


Carter and Reese (Person of Interest, 2011-2016)



This was such a tender moment and completely unexpected to viewers of Person of Interest and also to the actress involved (Jim Cavizel improvised the kiss, hence the look of confusion on Taraji P Henson's face is actually genuine). The chemistry between Cavizel and Henson is undeniable. It is a shame that the kiss occurred on Henson's last episode, it would have been amazing to see the show explore a possible relationship between the two.


Sydney and Vaughn (Alias, 2001-2006)



Aside from Buffy and Angel, already mentioned above, I think Sydney and Vaughn may be my favourite relationship portrayed on-screen. Again, the actors' chemistry is key here and in the first few seasons it was unmistakable. The chemistry dwindled a bit later on in the series, as did the storylines but the latter half of the final season helped to reignite the passion as earlier seen. Their first kiss is pictured above, in the edge-of-your-seat episode Phase One (season 2 episode 13).


Bond and Severine (Skyfall, 2012)


I could have gone with any kiss featured in the James Bond franchise, Lord knows that man gets around. I went with the one featured in Skyfall, as to me, that's the most memorable in the Daniel Craig era. The way that it's shot, with the characters almost silhouted in the shower, is so tantilising to see. You can almost feel the heat coming from the screen between the two. Alas, as with most Bond films, the pairing is very short-lived. 


David and Patrick (Schitt's Creek, 2015-2020)



I've already mentioned my love of this show, but my all-time favourite couple from Schitt's Creek has to be David and Patrick. From their first episode together, where neither were convinced the other liked them, to the final episode and their fairy tale wedding, I've always rooted for the pair. I know an on-screen relationship is going to affect me when the couples go through a break-up and I eagerly await to see if they ever reunite. This is one couple that did and I'm so glad we got to see so many more storylines with the two. 


Logan and Veronica (Veronica Mars, 2004-2007)



Ah, these two. They started off as friends, became mortal enemies, then lovers, then enemies, then back again. There's a running theme with most of my picks here and that is chemistry. Jason Dohring, who played Logan, and Kristen Bell who played Veronica, had it in spades. In fact, the characters weren't even supposed to form a romantic relationship in the original plans of the show, but people naturally gravitated towards the two. Even when they weren't together as a couple in season 2, they were still a delight to watch. I don't acknowledge the series' fourth season, and I recommend you don't either.


Eve and Villanelle (Killing Eve, 2018-present)



This show takes the concept of 'cat and mouse' to a new level. What I love the most about the scene above is both the characters' reactions, with Eve (played wonderfully by Sandra Oh) looking more shocked that she went in for the kiss than Villanelle, and with Villanelle (Jodie Comer) looking like she's unsure whether to kill Eve, or carry on kissing her. The series was leading up to this moment, with the kiss happening in an as unconventional scene as the show. I just hope that the creators work on next season harder than they did for this current season (season 3).


And, that's my take on sizzling smooches as seen on-screen. I've tried to pick memorable kisses that do not always end up on such lists. If you have any that I've missed, please share in the comments. Remember, we're still in a pandemic, so if you wish to kiss your loved ones, take a page out of Pushing Daisies' book below:

No comments:

Post a Comment