19 January 2022

Making You an Offer You Can't Refuse (Movie Challenge)

 


I am back and with my return, I am here to announce a new movie challenge. To give a hint of what this challenge may entail, let me introduce the post with some lines you may be familiar with:


It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

Take the gun. Leave the cannoli.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

I knew it was you Fredo. You broke my heart, you broke my heart!

Ok, so if it wasn't obvious by now,  I am of course referring to The Godfather films. The Godfather is turning the big 5-0 this year and to celebrate this milestone, I have decided to set myself a challenge: I am going to attempt to watch 50 films which revolve around the topic of gangsters and the mafia. 


Now this challenge is going to involve watching films across the era, from the 30s, to the pivotal 70s, up until modern classics of today,  I am going to take a look at how the genre has evolved and how key The Godfather films were in setting the standards which people recognise in watching crime films. Due to the sheer amount I have just set myself, it is going to be an on-going series of articles that I will be writing  throughout the year.

Is it possible to watch and write about 50 films within one of my favourite genres? Yes. Is it going to be a case that my life gets busy in-between reviewing the films? Perhaps. However, as I have wanted to celebrate The Godfather and its influences for a while now, I'm taking its golden anniversary as the perfect time to kickstart that into gear. 

Just when I thought I was out of movie challenges, they pull me back in. Stay tuned for my first instalment of 50 films celebrating 50 years!

Main Image

No comments:

Post a Comment